Thursday, February 10, 2011

A mother under construction...

All along there have been many comments that sing praises of the sacrificial love of a mother. As much as I’ve never disputed the truth in those comments (especially having the mother that I have!), I’ve gained some personal insight ever since joining the ranks of motherhood.

Yes there have been loss of sleep, adding new foods into my diet which I’d never have lifted a finger to put it in my mouth previously, cutting down on foods which I use to eat happily with all fingers, and some other things laid on the altar of sacrifice in the name of parenthood. But at the same time, my selfish nature becomes more apparent during these 4 months as well. How I’d want Caleb to sleep in a little longer so that I can have some “me time” (like now), and when he stirs I’d quickly pat him back to sleep so that I can have some more “me time”. How I’d want Caleb to be awake so that he can “entertain” people, sometimes feeling that my freedom is clipped with a little one tagged to me…

Our viewpoint on children really reflects the condition of our hearts. And my selfish nature rears its ugly head time and again. That’s probably why at times children seem like an inconvenience to our lifestyles rather than a joyous addition to the family.

Oh boy.. much to learn. Long way ahead!



No comments:

Post a Comment